Sunday, October 25, 2009

CAUTION! This post contains some graphic photos of a dead animal!

We've had a pretty interesting month so far. First, Emma had her 6th birthday. We took a friend of hers from school and the boys to Chuck-e-cheese (yuck!). That's where she wanted to go. She got lots of girly pink stuff and had a great time.
Last week while I was upstairs getting dressed Zack decided he needed to heat up his bran muffin in the microwave...for 10 minutes. Needless to say we were left with a small hockey puck and a house full of smoke. At least I think he learned to stay away from the microwave. He was more afraid that the smoke alarms would be set off (which they weren't) than anything else.
Later that same day Alex had a football game and we all decided to go. Right when we got to the field it started to sprinkle and we did not have any umbrellas-they are all in Payne's truck. But we decided to just tough it out. Well, it soon began to POUR and I was sure they would stop the game. But apparently football IS that important and they continued to play. I went inside the school and got some large clear trash bags from a very nice janitor lady and she helped me cut head holes in the tops of the bags. We each covered up with a bag and went out to the field and stood there in about 6 inches of water and pouring rain and finished watching the game. I was wishing the whole time that I had a camera because the kids were having a blast! I think we made a memory that day.
The next day was lab day in Anatomy and Physiology-this is where it gets graphic-and it was our first day with our pigs. It was so cool! The organs are just so perfectly formed and placed. This is the best class! I am still jealous that Mindy gets to work on a cadaver,but the pig is super fun anyway. I hope she is allowed to take pictures of her lab so we can see them. The body and how all its systems work together really is miraculous!

5 comments:

Barry Lauritzen said...

The only place that I want to see a pig is in the butcher shop.

Holly Emerson said...

Fantastic! But cadavers are much cooler, but the best is watching surgery, where you can see real human organs actually working. Alex looks so great in his uniform! The microwave story is hilarious, and I guess it's time to get new fire alarms. Happy birthday cute Emma!

Unknown said...

The pig is cool, but the football story is the best! Plastic bags! HAHA! And, yes, football is that important. Isn't it fun when your kids start doing things for themselves like heating up muffins and making heat-activated fax paper turn brown over a gas range! So much fun.

Hey, my word verification is "mener". Funny. That's Tara's pet name for Spencer.

mindy said...

Cool! I hope we get to do some dissection. I can't take pictures. In fact, if we're even caught with a cell phone in our pocket we get kicked out of the class. (Most cell phones can take pictures now.) Because of the cadaver donator privacy stuff, we can't take pictures or even take anyone into the lab with us who isn't registered in the class. The school had one warning a couple of years ago when a picture was put on a website by a student, so if anything else gets out they'll lose the cadavers. One of them had open heart surgery, so her sternum has been cracked open and wired shut again, and her heart is huge and in the wrong place (resting directly on the diaphragm.) She also had diabetes, but what killed her was breast cancer. It's so interesting!
I love the football story! I'm glad your kids had fun in the rain instead of being miserable. And happy birthday Emma!

$$$_A-Dawg_$$$ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.