Sunday, August 31, 2008

grapes, grapes, and more grapes!!!

It took me a while and a little scolding from Jeny to get going on a new post. But right now I am so excited that I have to put this up! I, Amy Lauritzen, am making homemade grape juice. I actually picked the grapes myself and am canning them. I swore I would never can anything and now I've gone a little crazy. I made applesauce a few weeks ago and last week I canned my tomatoes. A friend from the ward called to tell me to come get her grapes because they were ready to be picked. So I thought grape juice would be a good idea. Well, no one around here has ever heard of a juicer that uses heat. I couldn't even find a store that had one. So I picked all the grapes and put them in a refrigerator and ordered a juicer online. Another friend told me she had a neighbor with grapes that she didn't plan on using. So yesterday we went and picked more grapes and they are even better than the first ones! I am up to 30 quarts but I still have a lot more grapes and there are a lot more to pick.

I finally uploaded Joshua's birthday pictures, too. And a cute video of him trying to blow out the trick candles. Is this entertainment enough, Jeny?




Sunny has decided that his favorite thing to play with is hair. I get him out and put him on my shoulder whlie I'm studying and he buries himself in my hair and just sits there. It's very endearing but sometimes too hot, like when I'm steaming grapes.

5 comments:

Holly Emerson said...

I really like your bird! He's pretty. I am also very jealous of your grapes! Aunt Julie hasn't had a very good crop the last few years. How fun! Oh, and I think the video of Josh blowing out the candles will keep Jeny entertained for a bit. It's hilarious!

Teresa said...

That is ALOT of grapes! That video is so funny. He is sucking up air like he's so determined to get it the next time. That is hilarious

Parkinson Family said...

Tarquennis must think you are absolutely certifiable now with all the Mormon canning nonsense. I am constantly impressed by the new things you keep trying, Amy. You're awesome. Wish I could be there to help! Meybe if I get a good grape crop next year you can come help me.

Unknown said...

This is good entertainment! grapes, trick candles, Josh blowing and alex burping, and a weird bird to boot. Thanks! Now I need a new post for tomorrow :)

Kristin said...

I just happened by your blog and thought I'd say hi! What caught my attention was when I saw your juicer! Between my mom and I, we picked 10 BOXES of grapes! I had over 40 qts. of juice (not nearly enough for the year but...). So I just wanted to say congratulations on your canning success! This is the best way to go for grapes! Can I give you another great tip? CANNING TURKEY! It's the cheapest meat around! If you want to know more, just ask! I'd be happy to tell you about it!